Sunday, August 18, 2013

Love/HateYouTube Beauty Gurus Round #2: "Real" Beauty Gurus vs. "Pseudo" Beauty Gurus

The term "Beauty Guru" gets tossed around so frequently nowadays that it's hard to tell the difference between a "real" guru and a "pseudo" guru.  Let me explain myself a little better about that last sentence.  To me, a real guru posts tutorials with step by step instructions and what products they use.  They also post some helpful makeup or fashion tips and reviews as well an occasional haul or monthly favorites.  A Pseudo Guru mainly posts hauls, tags, and numerous collection videos. Every once in a you'll find a tutorial, whether it be hair or makeup.

A good example of a real Guru is Michelle Phan She does a ton of tutorials whether it be for an everyday look, an evening look, or a look from an anime or television show. She gives very clear instructions during her tutorials. The overall quality of her videos are awesome. She definitely puts in the time and effort in her videos.  I like that for her $20 makeup challenge, she filmed her haul for it and then, in another video, did the tutorial.  I also like that she is consistent with her videos.  Yes, she may only post one video a week, but the work she puts into each video makes the one video a week definitely worth it.

An example of a Pseudo Guru, for me, has to be Ingrid, better known as Missglamorazzi.  It's a shame to put her in this category because I used to like her videos.  I'm not saying the quality of her videos are bad, it's a great picture quality.  But how can you be classified as a Beauty Guru yet have maybe just a few hair tutorials and GRWM videos in the past 7 months? If you look back as far as last year, she has all these haul videos and monthly favorite videos.  Her newest video: breakfast ideas :(  I'm not expecting that from a so-called beauty guru.  I want tutorials or maybe if you do a haul video or favorites video, do a video on how you would use those products.  I'm not interested in what you eat for breakfast and I don't want to know what supplies you would bring to school especially if you aren't even in school (to be fair, Michelle is also guilty of this one).  I do enjoy her collection videos, but again, how would you wear that product?

There are many others that fit into the Real and Pseudo Guru categories, I just used these particular YouTubers as an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment