Thursday, August 22, 2013

Smashbox Try It Kit

This is something I decided to buy on a whim.  I've never really tried any Smashbox products so I decided it might be worth it to try it. I was half right. The kit came with samples of an eye primer, face primer, lip gloss, mascara, and eye liner.  Three of the products I really liked and the other two I actually hated.  These are the products I liked:

The Photo Finish Lid Primer is a creamy flesh colored primer.  It provides an excellent base for eyeshadows.  It enhances their colors and the shadows stay on the lids for a long time.  I noticed a little bit of creasing 6 hours into wearing it.  I also like that you can wear it by itself.  It hides the veins on the eyelids and brightens and smooths the area.  Full size price is $20

The Photo Finish Foundation Primer is a clear primer with a silicone consistency.  It smooths the skin, making it a perfect canvas for foundation.  I like this primer, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Benefit's POREfessional.  I do like that it doesn't break me out and my foundation did stay on nicely for quite a few hours.  Full size price is $36.

The Lip Enhancing Gloss came in the color Illume, which is a sheer champagne color with golden shimmer. It is a beautiful color, especially for when you are doing a dramatic eye look. I like it because it doesn't feel sticky on my lips and it smells like Charleston Chews candy!   Full size price is $19.

Now onto the products I disliked:

I didn't like the Limitless Eye Liner at all.  First, you are supposed to get the color onyx in the kit.  I ended up receiving Fig, which is a brown that is discontinued so even if I did like it, I wouldn't be able to get that color.  It wasn't creamy enough and it tugged harshly on my eyelid.  It also would not apply to my waterline.  Also, the liner I received is defective because the liner is loose in the pencil.  Pretty disappointing. Full size price is $19.

I was most displeased with the Full Exposure Mascara.  It doesn't come in waterproof, which is a problem for me because my eyes tear, especially because of allergies.  I decided to wear this when I went out with friends and within an hour of hanging out, one of my friends informed me that I had big black rings under my eyes from the mascara.  It smudges horribly and flakes too! I don't see how this mascara is a "best seller."  I definitely don't recommend this product but if you do want the full size, it's $19.50

It seems to me that the face and lip products from Smashbox are pretty great and the eye products are not.  I will definitely be purchasing more Smashbox products, except for the mascara and eye liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment